Tuesday 30 October 2012

Great food - Barcelona style (part 1)

One of my biggest loves in life is food. My boyfriend says it's one of the few things I talk about with genuine passion, and it's true, I love to eat, I love food, I love to try new things and explore new flavours and cultures through their food. I believe that you haven't been to a place if you don't go to an authentic local restaurant. 

That being said, I also love to find new, affordable, cool and exotic places where I live, luckily I live in a city now where there is plenty of those, and most of all, I live in Gracia, which is an area of Barcelona that has loads of cool and exotic places to go to and have a good an affordable meal. 

Here are some of my personal favourite places, so far:

- "El mordisco" CLOSED! - c/ Grassot, 72 - this place is like a block  away from my house, they have the best ceviche I've had in years (if you don't know what ceviche is, this is an example of how to make one), I also love their arroz con pollo (chicken with rice). Very authentic. If you love latin food and like spicy things, this is the place for you. You can find things like Inca cola, chicha morada and arroz con leche. On weekdays they have a menu, 1st and 2nd course, also a dessert for 5.5 euros (no drink included) - a great deal if you ask me, the portions are huge!

- "Abissinia" - c/ Torrent de les Flors 55 - A little and very nice Ethiopian restaurant, one of the most delicious foods I've ever tasted. Their cuisine is hard to explain, so here is their webpage, it's in Spanish, it has some information about the place and also some recipes. 

Celebrating my birthday with my boyfriend at Abissinia

- "Vioko"Passeig de Joan De Borbó 55 - This is an ice cream place (that also sells chocolates and other sweet stuff), I highly recommend the black forrest ice cream, and the vioko chocolate one (if you enjoy raisins and dry fruit). Check out their webpage for more information

- "Ya Wu"Paseo San Juan, 179 - I would say this is a Japanese fusion restaurant, nice and modern, the attention is great, they also have a menu, 9.95 during lunch, and 13 during dinner and weekends, 3 courses with dessert and drink included. The food is amazing, I highly recommend the coconut soup, the veil teppanyaki, and the nem rolls, but everything has always been great, including the sushi. The people that run the restaurant are very friendly and attentive. 

- "Toyo"c/ Torrent de l´Olla, 10 - Another nice japanese restaurant. The best part, the all you can eat buffet, on midday it costs 10 euros, and in the evenings and weekends 15. They have a little bit of everything, the sushi is very inventive, not very traditional, which I particularly like. Toyo wepage 

- "Teicawey"Carrer de Torrijos, 50 - quite nice little mexican place in Gracia, the food is very nice and affordable. The only bad thing is you can eat in, but it's not a traditional restaurant, they don't have tables, but booths of some sort. Either way, it is worth the trip! I love their mole chicken. 

- "The dog is hot" - there is 2, one in El Raval: Carrer de Joaquín Costa, 47, and one in Gracia:  C/ Vallfogona, 40 - A really nice hot dog place! Very trendy and modern. The owners are Brazilians and the hot dogs remind me so much of the ones we eat back home. Really great! Any hot dog with the melted cheese is amazing. The dog is hot

- "Bun Bo vietnam" - Carrer Sagristans (El Raval) - I love their bahn mi! I'm not very knowledgeable about Vietnamese food, but the plum sauce there is amazing! I go there to have this sandwich every chance I get!  

Do you live in Barcelona and have a favourite restaurant? Have you visited one that I haven't mentioned here and want me to go try it out? Leave me a comment and I will check it out! 

2 comments:

  1. Uy! No sé si te lo había mencionado, ero mi amigo Andreas tiene un (bueno dos) restaurant buenísimo, con un ambientazo espectacular y vende, entre otras cosas muy ricas y a buen precio, TEQUEÑOS! Su web: http://www.alsurcafe.com
    Beso,
    Cris.

    ReplyDelete